top of page

Market Research Group

Public·12 members
Christian Thompson
Christian Thompson

Grandfathered - Season 1

Grandfathered is an American sitcom created by Daniel Chun for the Fox Broadcasting Company. Originally titled Grandpa,[1] the show was picked up to series on May 8, 2015,[2] and premiered on September 29, 2015.[3] On October 15, 2015, Fox ordered an additional six scripts for the first season.[4] On October 28, 2015, Fox ordered a full season of 22 episodes for the first season.[5]On May 12, 2016, Fox canceled the series after one season.[6]

Grandfathered - Season 1

Grandfathered plans are those that were in existence on March 23, 2010 and have stayed basically the same. Grandfathered plans are not required to provide all of the benefits and consumer protections required by the Affordable Care Act. For example, a grandfathered plan might not cover preventive health services, it might charge higher premiums based on health status or gender, and it might exclude coverage for pre-existing conditions.

Employers with grandfathered group health plans are allowed to enroll new employees in the grandfathered plan. So even if you first joined a group health plan after March 23, 2010, you should ask about its grandfathered status. Your employer or your insurer must let you know if your health plan is grandfathered.

A derivative beneficiary who qualifies as a grandfathered noncitizen may benefit from INA 245(i) in the same way as a principal beneficiary. If the derivative beneficiary meets all eligibility requirements, the beneficiary may adjust despite an entry without inspection or being subject to the specified adjustment bars.[31]

If a grandfathered derivative beneficiary[32] remains the spouse or child of the grandfathered principal beneficiary, the derivative beneficiary may accompany or follow to join the principal beneficiary, provided the principal beneficiary is adjusting status under INA 245(i). In this case, the grandfathered principal beneficiary is the principal adjustment applicant and the grandfathered derivative beneficiary is the derivative applicant.[33]

The following flowchart provides a step-by-step process for determining whether an adjustment applicant meets the definition of a grandfathered noncitizen. In addition to being a grandfathered noncitizen, INA 245(i) applicants must also meet all other eligibility requirements to adjust under 245(i).[36]

Once a 245(i) adjustment applicant establishes that he or she is a grandfathered noncitizen, the applicant remains grandfathered and future eligibility for adjustment under INA 245(i) is preserved until the applicant adjusts to LPR status.[39] The applicant may use the qualifying petition or application as the basis for adjustment of status if the petition or application is still valid. In addition, the applicant may seek to adjust under another family-based, employment-based, special immigrant, or diversity visa immigrant category for which the applicant is eligible.[40]

The fact that a noncitizen is determined to be a grandfathered noncitizen for INA 245(i) purposes does not confer any immigration status on the noncitizen nor does it place the noncitizen in a period of stay authorized by the Secretary of Homeland Security for purposes of stopping the accrual of any unlawful presence pursuant to INA 212(a)(9).[41]

The spouse and child(ren) as of the date of adjustment accompanying (or following-to-join) a principal INA 245(i) applicant (who is a grandfathered noncitizen) are eligible to seek adjustment under 245(i) even though they are not grandfathered noncitizens in their own right. The spouse and child(ren) may also benefit from INA 245(i) provisions allowing applicants to adjust despite an entry without inspection or being subject to the specified adjustment bars.[46] If the spouse and child(ren) were properly inspected and admitted or inspected and paroled (and are not subject to the INA 245(c) bars) they do not need to file a Supplement A. The spouse and child(ren) may simply seek adjustment under INA 245(a) by filing only the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Form I-485).

The noncitizen demonstrates that he or she was the spouse or child (unmarried and under 21 years of age) of a grandfathered principal beneficiary at the time a qualifying petition or application was properly filed; and

A noncitizen who became the spouse or child of a grandfathered principal beneficiary after the qualifying petition or application was filed may only seek INA 245(i) adjustment through the principal beneficiary as an accompanying (or following-to-join) immigrant.[48] These applicants do not qualify as grandfathered derivative beneficiaries who may adjust in their own right under INA 245(i).[49]

The following chart provides a summary of whether the spouse or child of a grandfathered principal beneficiary may be grandfathered in his or her own right or eligible to accompany or follow to join the grandfathered principal beneficiary.

Derivative beneficiaries of a qualifying immigrant visa petition or labor certification application are grandfathered in their own right. These grandfathered derivative beneficiaries may adjust independently from the principal beneficiary of the grandfathering petition or application. Accordingly, their current spouse and children may be eligible to adjust under the usual accompanying or following-to-join rules.

The accompanying (or following-to-join) spouse or child must continue to have the qualifying relationship with the principal adjustment applicant (grandfathered derivative beneficiary) both at the time of filing and approval of their individual adjustment applications.[51]

The following chart provides a summary of when the spouse or child of a grandfathered derivative beneficiary of a qualifying immigrant visa petition or permanent labor certification application may be eligible to accompany or follow-to-join under INA 245(i).

If claiming to be a grandfathered noncitizen based on a qualifying petition or application that was filed after January 14, 1998, the applicant must show that the principal beneficiary of the petition or application was physically present in the United States on December 21, 2000 to adjust under INA 245(i).[55]

Because this physical presence requirement applies only to the principal beneficiary, the physical presence of any derivative beneficiaries on December 21, 2000 is not relevant. Grandfathered derivative beneficiaries, however, must show that the grandfathered principal beneficiary was physically present on December 21, 2000, if the qualifying petition or application was filed after January 14, 1998.

In this example, the applicant is the principal beneficiary of a qualifying petition. Since the petition was filed after January 14, 1998, the noncitizen must show that he or she was physically present in the United States on December 21, 2000, to be a grandfathered noncitizen and adjust under INA 245(i).

In this example, the qualifying permanent labor certification application serves to grandfather the derivative beneficiary. The fact that the principal beneficiary and the derivative beneficiary are now divorced is not relevant for INA 245(i) purposes. The derivative beneficiary is a grandfathered noncitizen in his or her own right and eligible to seek adjustment under INA 245(i) independently of the principal beneficiary, if the principal beneficiary was physically present in the United States on December 21, 2000.

[^ 47] For more information on adjusting as a grandfathered derivative beneficiary, see Section C, Beneficiary of Qualifying Immigrant Visa Petition or Permanent Labor Certification Application, Subsection 2, Special Considerations for Derivative Beneficiaries [7 USCIS-PM C.2(C)(2)].

[^ 49] Similarly, the spouse of a qualified principal beneficiary who married the principal beneficiary only after the principal beneficiary adjusted under INA 245(i) is not eligible to adjust as a grandfathered derivative beneficiary under 245(i). See Landin-Molina v. Holder (PDF), 580 F.3d 913 (9th Cir. 2009).

Dan Fogelman is one of the executive producers on GRANDFATHERED alongside Chris Koch, series creator Daniel Chun and star Stamos. Fogelman previously created the alien half-hour comedy THE NEIGHBORS and his medieval musical GALAVANT will be back for a second season on ABC in early 2016. In the feature arena, Fogelman also wrote and/or co-wrote the screenplays for CARS, TANGLED and CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE. The last one Fogelman cites as a particular touchstone for his work on GRANDFATHERED.

John Stamos plays Jimmy Martino, a 50 year old bachelor who discovers that he is both a father and a grandfather. With a 25 year old son from a brief fling with one of his ex-lovers, Jimmy tries to balance his personal life with two newcomers into his family. Grandfathered was originally commissioned for 16 episodes, but in mid-October the networked ordered an additional six scripts for the first season. A week ago, FOX confirmed that the show would run for a full 22 episodes during season 1.

Grandfathered has received mostly positive reviews from critics and audiences, as evidenced by a nearly 70% fresh ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and additional episode order by FOX. Just five epodes into the season, the show is averaging around 3 million viewers per episode. Can Jon Stamos and the rest of the cast carry the comedy forward and toward a renewal for Grandfathered season 2? Time will tell and so will the ratings. FOX has not made any announcements regarding a potential renewal just yet.

UPDATED December 22, 2015: The first nine episodes of the debut 12-episode season of Grandfathered finished airing on December 1, 2015. The show is now on a Christmas break until next year. The remaining episodes of the series will be back on the air on January 5, 2016. The network is more than likely to renew the freshman comedy series due to very satisfying viewership numbers. 041b061a72